Monday, June 23, 2008

Are you filled with God's jealousy

he was jealous with my jealousy among them... Numbers 25:11

In this particular passage of Numbers, Eleazar's son Phinehas (grandson of Aaron) acted for the Lord. He was jealous with how the congregation was acting towards God. Israel was forsaking God and turning to Baal. They were giving into sexual sins with the Midianite women as an act of worship to Baal. He realized that it was wrong and it bothered him that these people that were blessed by God and in a covenant with him would turn their backs on Him.

In reading this passage, I was somewhat convicted because it is easy to say certain things are wrong but not be moved by it. We can just say well it is life and we need to stay away from those bad things but do we get upset about people falling into sin? How do I react when I find someone who fell into sin? Do you get upset that the world's way of life is influencing our loved ones? Do you act and make a stand when you know something should not happen and even when the world will call you a fool?

We usually think about jealousy as being a bad thing and we should not have it but here we see that Aaron's grandson was filled with jealousy and it was the same kind God has with us as we go to other gods and worship them (Exodus 20:5). Do we get jealous for the Lord when people serve other gods and other things and disown Him? Do we get sad over the lost? As I realize things in this world will continue and happen but I still have my job to make a stand against things that should not happen and stand for the Lord. I must not be selfish and think it is just for me to follow but share it with the world.

No comments:

Important info:

  • Mark your calendars for the Winter Retreat. The dates are March 13th through the 16th. In a few weeks I will be handing out the requests.

Prayer Request

  • If you have any prayer request please let me know
  • Pray for Liz of Wednesday night.
  • Pray for Liz's grandma who had a heart attack a few weeks ago.
  • Please keep Angela's father in your prayers
  • Pray for Alex to find a job.
  • Please continue to pray for my wife and the baby.