Monday, August 4, 2008

Reflections from Sunday

I hope everyone had the opportunity to attend church this Sunday. We were very blessed by a powerful message given by Pastor Jon Courson. He presented 3 points that we as a congregation should be doing for our pastor. As I was listening my first thought was, how cool because we usually associate church with what we can get from the pastor or what do we get out of it and this was different.

His 3 points were 1) Go to Jesus 2) Be like Jesus 3) Let Jesus be Jesus. I was so intrigued as he gave pointers for us as a church to be able to help out Pastor Greg and his family but also how to help out the body of Christ. Paul tells us in Galatians to bear one another's burdnes and we truly are here at Harvest. May we take these points and not only apply them to what is going on right now but continue to do it for others that are hurting.

One point I would like to highlight was when he was talking about how God revealed something in his study of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego when they were thrown into the fiery furnace for not bowing down before the idol. Pastor Jon highlighted that it was through the fiery furnace, through the trial in which they were in the presence of our Lord. We see in scripture that when we face trials of various kinds we are not alone. We have a loving Savior that is going through that fire with us. To make it even cooler is that Jesus already suffered through all the trials by taking on sin. A quote I like was, "I would rather be in the fiery furnace with the Lord than in the coolness of the courtyard." If going through the trials draw me closer to the Lord than let it.

I know we all will face trials and probably have faced many, but God is preparing us for something mighty that will happen. Be prepared, may you grow in all that you do.

PJ

No comments:

Important info:

  • Mark your calendars for the Winter Retreat. The dates are March 13th through the 16th. In a few weeks I will be handing out the requests.

Prayer Request

  • If you have any prayer request please let me know
  • Pray for Liz of Wednesday night.
  • Pray for Liz's grandma who had a heart attack a few weeks ago.
  • Please keep Angela's father in your prayers
  • Pray for Alex to find a job.
  • Please continue to pray for my wife and the baby.